Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 2 of the 12 Week Challenge!!!!



We are continuing on with Week 1 Challenge of water and vitamins as well as adding Week 2 Challenges. Remember, we are building healthy habits over the course of 12 weeks.
So, how did you do this week? Leave a comment and let me know how it went for you!

Let’s get physical, physical... Come on! Sing it with me!!! :) 
This week's challenge has 2 parts ( and a midweek mini challenge!)
Part 1 of the challenge, I feel, is most important. Get your body moving! It is flat out hard to get motivated to get my butt up off the computer and hit the treadmill sometimes. But when I do, I feel AWESOME! I pump up the tunes and go! (See my playlist at the end of the post).
According to the Mayo Clinic, you should be getting AT LEAST 150 minutes a week of moderate to vigorous exercise. Divided out by 5 days (we need time to rest) that is 30 minutes a day. Moderate exercise includes: Brisk walking, swimming, biking, etc. If you are doing vigorous workouts, such us aerobics, you can mix them in with moderate workouts for a boost! If you cannot handle or have time for a 30 minute workout in one setting, Dr. Edward Laskowski from the Mayo Clinic suggests 3-10 minute workouts. He says that small workout have health benefits as well. And you are still getting in your 30 minutes a day. Preferably you will be able to do the 30 minutes consecutively for the best results. They also suggest weight training. No specific recommendations are given on how much time you should weight train, but you should do it at least 2 times a week. 
I understand that everyone may not be capable of diving into to a full 5+ workouts at week. So here is what we are going to do. There are 3 levels to choose from. Read through each level and choose the one that you are at. Meet the challenge for this level (You can always up the level later on the the challenge.)

Level 1- I currently have little to no physical activity on a daily basis. (And/Or) I have health problems or challenges that prevent me from completing a lot of physical activity. (For example- knee problems.) 

Level 2- I am your average American. I may get some physical activity, such a push mowing the lawn, shoveling snow or an occasional walk. (AND/OR) I work out (or get 30 minutes of physical activity) 0-2 times per week. I have no real health restraints that prevent me from physical activity.

Level 3- I currently have a work out schedule and stick to it. I work out 3 or more times per week.
If you are a:
 Level 1
 Your goal this week is to add something physical into your DAILY schedule. One of my teacher friends would say, “SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING!!!”  How true is that? So maybe you are making extra trips up the stairs this week and making yourself walk to the mailbox everyday. Get yourself a pair of cheap weights (I found mine at Five Below)  and while you are sitting down, do arm curls. Sit in a chair with your back straight and lift your leg (one at a time) about 1 foot off the ground. Repeat several times. Stretch your muscles for 10 minutes 2x per day. Find something physical to do everyday. Even if you can only handle a few minutes at time, that is a great change! A great start! You can do it!
Level 2:
Okay guys, we are kicking it into high gear. There is no reason we can’t push ourselves to the limit. The Mayo Clinic recommends 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity a week. That works out to FIVE  30 minute workouts a week. You can also break those workouts down to several small workouts per day if that works better for you. There is still a big benefit to incremented workouts. But I don’t think you will have a problem cutting out 30 minutes of TV or Internet time to get your body moving! ;) Go for a walk, dust off the old exercise DVDs...or ahem, VHS! Just get moving. Push yourself!
Level 3:
 You are already working out. So it is time to amp it up! If you are not doing 5- 30 minute work outs (or 150 minutes a week). Then amp it up to that. If you are already getting your 150 minutes in for the week, then amp it up by adding 10 extra minutes to each workout. Or add 1 extra workout into your schedule. Push yourself a little harder. Add something to your workout that you typically avoid, such as sit ups. Or change out one workout for a new routine, such as a vigorous aerobic workout. 

***NOTE: If you have any hesitation about starting a new routine, You may want to check with your doctor first.****

I am a week ahead on the Challenge. That way I can share my experiences, recipes and workouts with you. I hope that it benefits you!  I am a Level 2, so here is what my week looked like:


5 -30 minute workouts which included: 22 mins on the treadmill and 8 minutes of lunges, squats, sit-up, and stretches. On my 3rd workout, I added 3lb weights while I was on the treadmill. I did arm curls, peck exercises and all kinds of things. It really maximized those 22 minutes! 

This is a great article on the benefits of exercise as well as how to get a good start, especially if you are beginner. (There are 3 short pages, make sure you read them all.)
The WebMD article also stresses that very important point. If you can’t do 30 minutes, do 10 or 5! (Especially for Level 1).  Remember that whole, “Something is better than nothing,” thing that we talked about earlier? It is so true! I could sit here and type out all the benefits of exercise like, it can prevent cancer, prevent and reverse depression, cure heart disease, aid in weight loss, build muscle, help arthritis... but I won’t ;) (I got this info from the above mentioned article.) We know exercise and physical activity in general is good for us. We know the benefits. We just need to get up off our bums and go! Getting started is the hardest part. After making the commitment, you feel so good. Exercise releases endorphins which make you happy.  :) So many benefits. 

Part 2 of the Challenge:
 No food 3 hours before bedtime. If you go to bed between 10-10:30 like me, that means no food after 7 or 7:30. Plan accordingly. If you absolutely must cheat, then Make a healthy choice! This will help you sleep better ( because your body is not using energy to digest food) and even help you shed a few pounds, or prevent adding a few! 


Tip and Tricks

  1. Keep that water bottle near you while working out. I can down a whole bottle in a 30 minute work out. Stay hydrated. 
  2. Find yourself some workout clothes that make you feel amazing. I have a favorite outfit that I wear that makes me feel like an athlete. Since I met my goal of 150 minutes this week ( Remember, I am a week ahead of you.) I am buying myself a new workout outfit! :) Congratulations Self! 
  3. Get a playlist. Download your favorite upbeat music onto your MP3. It makes the time go fast and motivates me! Here is my playlist!
  • “Give Me Everything” by Pitbull featuring Ne-yo
  • “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele
  • “Only Girl” by Rhianna
  • “Firework” by Katy Perry
  • “Mean” by Taylor Swift
  • “One Tribe” by The Black Eyed Peas
  • “Sexy and I Know It” by LMFAO
  • “Club Can’t Handle Me” by Flo-Rida
  • “Rock that Body” by The Black Eyed Peas
  • “Clumsy” by Fergie
  • “On the Floor” J-Lo
5.  Check On Demand on Comcast. They usually have FREE exercise programs! Yeah! 

6. If you are having a hard time finding exercises, walking is easiest and very beneficial, but also google it or type it into YouTube. You can get free exercise videos and ideas on there! I watched a whole Yoga routine! Free makes me happy!

Check back Wednesday for the first MIDWEEK MINI! A mini challenge for you to add to what you are already doing! :) :) :) MM are optional! :) Have fun this week getting your body moving!


1 comment:

  1. Very informative and unique tips. Thanks for sharing. Please visit our website www.uspstudios.co which is specialize on preschool kids songs.

    ReplyDelete