Saturday, January 21, 2012

Freezer Breakfast Burritos- Low Carb!!!!

I saw this idea over at Mom on Time Out. She has some great ideas! I adjusted it a little bit according to my tastes and what I had on hand. :)  And people guess what!!!??!?!! They are LOW CARB!!! Warning: That does not mean good for you. These are BETTER for you than if you would use your regular flour tortilla, but they have a lot of meat in them... which equals a fair amount of fat. But still a good breakfast choice. :) Better than a Pop Tart for sure. ( I tried to type fo' sho' - but I sounded like a pretender. I am. Don't hate.)
Grab:
24 Medium Flour Tortillas

I used Mission Carb Balance. Confession: I am a carbaholic and this is one little way that I can get a lot of fiber without giving up any taste or texture. These are my all time favorite wraps. If they ever stop making them, I will mourn. I will wear a black. I will not eat any more Mexican food. Ever. Ok, I lied. I love Mexican food way too much to give it up indefinitely. But mourn, I will. For days. Just check out the nutrition info on these babies! 120 Cals, 6 Net carbs, 13 grams of fiber baby! Oh yeah! I feel thinner just thinking about it! :) Guilt free. 


Wow, that was a long tangent. Anyway...
24 Medium Flour Tortillas
1 pound of loose breakfast sausage
1 cup of cubed ham
1/2 pound of bacon (low sodium)
18 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 orange bell pepper
About a cup of shredded cheese (eyeball it)

This is what I did:
I baked my bacon in a single layer on foil at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. This varies, and you will have to watch your bacon closely after about the 10 minute mark.  Drained it and crumbled it. 
Cooked my sausage in the skillet, rinsed and drained. 
Chopped my bell pepper.
Heated some butter over low heat.
Threw in my bell pepper.
Cracked 18 eggs and mixed them with some S&P and the milk.
***TIP- when cracking an egg, hit is straight down onto the counter top. Do not tap it on the edge of the counter. This pushes the tiny pieces of shell into the egg. Hit it on the flat surface and you won't be digging shell out of your dish! :) ***
Threw my eggs in on top of my pepper. 
(Let your eggs cook slowly, sloshing them around the pan. It gives you a nice yellow, moist egg. Turn up the heat when the egg starts to coagulate.) Remove them from the heat when the are 85 percent cooked, then keep folding them over. They will finish cooking. Your eggs won't be dry.)
Then I mixed the bacon, sausage and ham into my eggs. 

When it cooled, I began the burrito wrapping process. 

This part is tricky to me... but you will soon be a master of burrito wrapping.
Lay out your tortilla. Now mine are not a perfect circle. Lay it out so the longest part is horizontal. Like this...
Sprinkle some cheese towards the bottom.
Then spoon meat on top. 
Like so.
Then, fold up the bottom and sides simultaneously. And roll. Squishing any egg mixture back inside as you go. Tuck in any little parts of the wrap that are not being cooperative. Lay seam side down on to baking sheet. 

Now, MOTO suggests that you flash freeze these in a single layer on a baking sheet for one hour before you wrap them. I guess this is so they stay together while you are wrapping them in saran wrap. However, I did not have the room in my freezer and was much too impatient. So I just wrapped them in the saran. I had NO problems at all. This was super simple, so I see no need to flash freeze them.
Last step was packing as many as I could into a gallon freezer bag labeled with directions:
According to MOTO:

Wrap burrito in damp paper towel and microwave at 50% power for 3 minutes. And she suggests you serve with salsa. YUM or in my house... mayo and ketchup! :)
I think this is a great idea for a quick breakfast. Low carb in this case! This would even make a great lunch! :) 
Thanks Mom on Time Out! 


13 comments:

  1. This looks so good - what a way to plan for the week! You're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea! My childen have just gone back to school this week and breakfast time is always chaotic around here. I'd love for you to share this on my "Thriving on Thursdays" linky party here in Australia. I have a blog which features fast, frugal and fun recipes and ideas. This would be perfect.

    http://www.domesblissity.blogspot.com/2012/01/thriving-on-thursdays-linky-party-4.html

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing :)
    Stopping by from Tues Talent Show

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank you so much for linking up last week to my "Thriving on Thursdays" linky party. You always have such fantastic ideas. The party will be starting again in just over 12 hours so if you get a chance, I'd love to see what you've been up to this week.

    Anne @ Domesblissity xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you buy your high fiber tortillas? Can you just email me your answer? Thanks...Connie
    wingsaseaglesdrb@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I too am looking for these amazing high fiber tortillas. Where do you buy them. Please answer my email directly. Thanks. They look delicious.
      dalsheimchari@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Mrs. Dalsheim's Second Graders: They sell these at your local Walmart, if you have one. They now also have a whole wheat carb balance ones now as well and they are surprising very good, and I am not one who likes whole wheat anything!

      Delete
    3. I buy these tortillas all the time at my local Giant Food :-)

      Delete
  6. I've made these several times to take camping. I freeze them as instructed; the night before, while camping, I wrap them individually in foil;put them in the frig and throw them in our little camper oven the next morning to warm as we wake. Easy let's go fishing breakfast. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome... I just made a dozen and put some kale and jalapenos in mine-yummm. Got some little dressing cups of salsa and we're ready for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have done this with no ham, more veggies, hash browns and wrapped in wax paper instead. Worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I got one more recipe to fuel up my body with good breakfast in the morning. In fact, the name itself says that the dish is for breakfast. I will definitely try the recipe by giving some of the unique twist to it. I will also definitely share my experience on the same and tell you what twists I gave and then, the entire dish will get a new look and taste.
    https://livingfoodz.com/recipes/breakfast-burritos-1327

    ReplyDelete