Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lemon Pepper Chicken Legs


Okay, so this is a recipe adapted from Food Network's Ina Garten. It intrigued me because you can actually eat the whole lemons that you roast with the chicken, rind and all! Which of course is the only reason I made this chicken. Heck, I just wanted to say, " I ate a lemon, stinkin' rind and all ya'll!" (That was my inner Paula Dean coming through!)  So now that I can say that... I can cross one more thing off my bucket list. :P 
 It is most certainly a recipe that is worth the try! 
The differences in my recipes and Ina's, is that she uses a whole chicken which she stuffs with whole garlic and lemons. I sprinkled garlic seasoning on the chicken and squeezed lemon over top of chicken legs.  She also uses white wine in the sauce, I used vinegar instead of the white wine. 

Lemon Pepper Chicken Legs
Chicken Legs
2 lemons
1 onion (I used vidalia)
salt and pepper
canola oil
1 TBSP flour
1 can of chicken broth or 1 cup or so of chicken stock
2-3 TBSP of white vinegar (If you use white wine, use 1/4 cup)


Drizzle chicken legs with oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic. Squeeze juice of half a lemon over top. Cut onion and lemon into large chunks. Toss with oil and S&P. Toss them in with the chicken. Cook for 45-60 minutes at 425 degrees. I turn the broiler on the last few minutes, because I like a crispy skin. Remove chicken, onion and lemon from pan. Put pan with broth to the stove top and heat on high. Add flour and whisk until sauce thickens. Add chicken broth or stock and vinegar (or white wine). Let boil for a minute whisking constantly. Serve over potatoes or egg noodles. 
***Note: The onions are AMAZING! I could have just eaten those! The whole lemon can be eaten... and it is interesting, sorta bitter, but not bad! Something exciting to try!*** Have fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment