Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Preschool: Don't Underestimate the Simple

Don't underestimate the power of a simple project. With the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, I needed a simple Table Time project to kick off letter 'C' week. My husband I got some Christmas cards form the people at our church. As I was opening them I mentioned that I did not really understand the point of a Christmas card. Some are so impersonal. Just a form message and a signed name. Now don't get me wrong. I appreciate them. I do. It just seems like a lot of work that one simple facebook status would have taken care of. Okay, I know some of you are freaking out, thinking that I am borderline rude. Maybe lazy. Maybe just another ignorant product of the Social Media Generation. Maybe. I don't know. Maybe I am just a little more "Ba-hum-buggish" this year. Either way, my husband laughed at me (he appreciates my honesty...and quirkiness) while I told him, "Oh well, the preschoolers will love cutting these to pieces." And there you have it. A simple fine motor activity for 'C' week. 

Sorry that there are no pictures. I forgot my camera. --- Anyway, I just gave each kiddo the front of one Christmas card and a pair of scissors. They could choose to snip, chop or cut out shapes and pictures on their recycled card. I was surprised that in both classes, the kiddos cut and cut and cut some more. They thoroughly enjoyed being able to obliterate something. 

The cards make the perfect thing to cut. Especially for the younger kids. The are sturdy and hold their shape, making it easy for the kiddos to handle. Perfect way to work on correct scissor grip. Easy. Easy. Easy. 
Don't over think it people. Sometimes simple is best. (And don't be afraid to recycle those Christmas cards! This would make a great cutting center at preschool!)

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I am of the same opinion as you in regards to Christmas cards! This year I cut some up for simple puzzles, and I also used the fronts for different types of discussions/narrations for my 2 and 5 year old. I guess I could let them cut them up too! :)

    Stopping in from Preschool Corner!

    Brittney
    www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete