Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Donuts!


Warning: This is NOT part of the Get Healthy 12 Week Challenge.
Now that we have that all cleared up... Get out there and make your family some super simple donuts. You will not believe how ridiculously easy these are to make.

I originally saw Paula Deen doing these yummy little wonders. So for fausnaught day (It's FAT Tuesday, ya'll) I thought I would give them a shot! So glad I did. They are so easy. They would make a super easy yummy breakfast. :)

Grab:
1 can of Grands Biscuits
Oil for frying ( I used canola... but veggie or peanut will work)
Confectioner's sugar
vanilla
milk
cocoa powder
sprinkles
cinnamon and sugar

Go: 
Get your set up ready.
I used cookie cooling racks on top of foil for a super easy clean up. 
Mix up your glazes. You could do all sorts of glazes. They are super simple to make. I made a traditional vanilla and a chocolate.
For a vanilla glaze, you want to mix confectioner's sugar with a little bit of milk (or water) add liquids tiny bits at a time. Stirring until the lumps are out. Then add a tiny bit of vanilla. 
For the chocolate glaze, you mix a little cocoa powder into the confectioner's sugar before adding your liquid. I just did these to my tastes and texture preferences. You can look up a more specific recipe if that makes you feel more comfortable. 
I filled bowls with glazes and cinnamon sugar mixture.
(Note: I needed double the glaze shown in the bowl, but I also used 2 cans of biscuits)


Smash your biscuits down a little. Use a small round cutter to make a whole in the center of the biscuit. I used the lid from my canola oil bottle to cut the centers out. 


Meanwhile heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. I had about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oil in my skillet. 
Test the oil by dipping the edge of a donut hole into the oil and see if it bubbles around the edges. When it bubbles, it is ready. Place donuts in the oil. Whole donuts took about 1 minute on the first side and 45 seconds on the second side. Donut holes take way less time. :) Just stand right over them. Remove them from the skillet, drip off extra oil and dip them in the glaze or sugar mixture. Decorate with sprinkles if you like! 




Sorry guys, no donut hole pictures. We were testing them as soon as they cooled off enough to pop in our mouths! 

6 comments:

  1. look awesome! I will have to try this! thanks for sharing!
    Tonja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! They are so easy and so good! Plus I usually have everything on hand that I need to make them! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. I actually have all items at home already! Will be making this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe is being featured on Today's Menu Round Up!
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=25459
    Please grab a "featured" button. And THANK YOU for sharing your recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday!
    ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love canned biscuit donuts! I usually just use my fingers to punch and shape a hole. Mine never look this pretty but the kids still eat them up as fast as I can make them!

    ReplyDelete