Friday, June 10, 2011

Spaghetti Pie... YUM!



I wish you could be in my head.
I wish you could hear the intonations I use to narrate these posts.
My family laughs at me because instead of words, sometimes I use sounds. Yep, no words just "ooosh" and "urrrrccchhh" and whatever else flies outta my mouth. I don't even know I do it. I just do. It is just me. It is one of those things that makes me, ME!
Anyway... The "YUM" in the title is meant to be sung in a bellow-y voice. YUUUUMMMM! ( yes, "yum" is a word, not just a sound, but sometimes I go off on these tangents and...)
OK, now that we got that outta the way, here is the recipe for Spaghetti Pie. If you like lasagna, then you will love Spaghetti Pie.
Here we go...
Get ready...
Sing it with me in your big, bellow-y voice...
YUUUUMMMM!

Spaghetti Pie

1 Box of spaghetti (or any pasta you like. I actually used linguine, whole wheat!)
1 or so jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce ( See how precise I am with my measurements.)
2 Cups of shredded mozzarella
2 Cups (or so) ricotta cheese
Some ground meat ( I used lean ground turkey)
2 eggs
1 TBSP butter
A few shakes of Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
Fresh basil if you please ( and PLEASE do! It is an incredible herb!)



OK, so I am pretty sure most of you know how to cook pasta and drain it...
You do right?
OK, good!
Cook your ground meat of choice. I used lean ground turkey. Try it. 
No really... do it. You will love it. 
It is good for you! I make really yummy turkey burgers and one day I will share that recipe with you. But first, you have to be brave.
 Buy the ground turkey. 
Fry it in a skillet with some onion. 
Then mix it up with your spaghetti sauce. I love Francesco Rinaldi brand. I love it even more, because I bought it for $1.00/jar @ Weis Market a coupe of weeks ago. I heart Weis. They have great deals!
While the pasta is cooking, mix the ricotta, 1 egg, some s&p and your basil (cut it in small pieces with scissors first) in a bowl. Set aside.
OK, so now we have pasta cooked, rinsed and drained. Meat, cooked, rinsed, drained, mixed with sauce and ricotta mixture mixed. Now we just gotta layer it up. Grab your beautiful Rachael Ray Bubble & Brown dish. Oh, you don't have one? Bummer. OK, grab anything. It is a "pie" recipe, so feel free to grab a pie dish. (too small for me!)  Spray it with cooking spray. Lightly beat your last egg. Mix it into the pasta with some parm cheese ( however much you like) and some salt, oh and yes, some butter. Then dump into your dish. Spread the ricotta mixture over top.


Followed by the meat sauce. Then guess what comes next...
Seriously... Guess...
YEP! CHEESE! Best part!
Sprinkle the cheese on top. YUUUMMMM (Here we go again!)
Pop it into the oven at 350 for about 25 minutes to heat through. Then turn on the broiler and keep a watchful eye on it. Stand there. Right there by the stove. Don't move. Don't do anything else. No, Don't even think about starting to chop the lettuce for a nice side salad. Just stand still. Just keep checking your beautiful Spaghetti Pie. When the cheese gets bubbly and a little brown, shut the broiler off and remove it. Let it cool for about 10 minutes before cutting it. It will stay together better. Enjoy!




*Disclaimer: these are my opinions (about Weis and Rachael Ray) I am not being compensated in any way to say these things. Darn...

2 comments:

  1. You are too cute! I love this recipe it sounds so good! so glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is super yummy! We eat it at least once a week! :)

    ReplyDelete