Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Under the Sea Play (and a short rant about the plural of 'octopus')



It rained here for 2 days. In my house, that usually means chaos. Hence the name of the blog, "Beautiful Chaos". And while some days are long and loud (and I swear the kids wake up contemplating ways push my buttons) they are all really a joy. They have taught me so many things which are encouraging to me. I know when it is time for my husband and me to have kids, we will not be going in completely blind.
But, back to the chaos... today the kids spent most of the morning bargaining to get outside for a while. While I was making lunch,  I allowed them to go out (I can see them in the yard from the kitchen.) Of course it was only 5 minutes later that the claims of "heat exhaustion" came. I made them stay out for a while anyway. But I knew it was way too muggy to go back out after lunch. So, I pulled something from my teaching stash. I am CRAZY about Toobs. They are small toys that can be found at most hobby/craft stores. Use a coupon and get a Toob for less than 5 bucks. LOVE IT!!! 

I am a huge fan of sensory play, so I pulled out the Boats and Ocean Life Toobs, filled some random containers with water, tinted them blue with a few drops of food coloring and then the fun began! 
 Here are some of our Toob Toys
 Our octopus underwater. Radom useless fact: Did you know the plural of 'octopus' is 'octopuses', NOT 'octopi'. It is one of the most common plural mistakes in english, basically because it is derived from the Greek word 'octipode'. The plural would then be 'octopi', but not in english - it is just 'octopuses'- which innately bugs me to no end. I prefer 'octopi' but refuse to speak so incorrectly.  ~whatever, right?~

 Starfish, octopus and eel underwater. Coolest thing about the Toobs, are the toys have their proper name on the bottom, so I look smart when I spout off each type of animal and boat. ;)

 Seriously, they played forEVER!





On a side note ( I know, you are thinking, "not another one!") The Toob toys come in a tube, but it is not  meant to keep the toys in, it is just packaging. So I a huge fan of reusing and upcycling. So here is a tip. You know the containers icing comes in? They are too nice to toss when I am done with them, so I wash them out store our Toob toys in them. The great thing is you can label them with a sharpie you so know what is in the container without looking :) :) :) 



2 comments:

  1. Great post! I look forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Misty! Thanks for following! :)

    ReplyDelete